7.17.2011

Summer Squash Enchiladas

This week in my CSA drop, I got two of the cutest zucchini you've ever seen! Zucchini is one type of summer squash (see how much I'm learning from being a CSA member?). Last week, I got two yellow summer squash - so there I was...with four summer squash and a million ways of cooking them. Luckily, I have a cookbook called "The Classic Zucchini Cookbook: 225 Recipes for All Kinds of Squash," and on page 78, there is a recipe for "Summer Squash Enchiladas."The link is to the recipe, but the site credits it to the "Joy of Gardening Cookbook." The only difference I noticed between the one I used and the one online is that the online version calls for vegetable oil (mine used olive oil) and calls for the squash to be steamed before it is added to the onions and garlic (mine just called for it to be added to the onion/garlic mixture).

I just love a shot of the ingredients!
Yes, that's half & half...I don't normally use milk for anything, and the half & half at my market comes in the perfect sized containers, so I went with that. :) If I ever make this again though, I will probably just use milk, because the sauce was too thick. The sautéd squash mixture was delicious by itself, then adding the scrumptious cheese mixture added dimensions of taste and texture.

The sautéd squash
I planned to take pictures of the sautéed squash, the cheese sauce, and then the two mixed together, but in my excitement to get everything together I forgot to shoot them before I mixed them! :(

The baked enchiladas
 I used lavash instead of tortillas (there's a story here, but I won't bore you with it), so rolling the enchiladas was a bit challenging, but it worked ok. There was enough of the squash and cheese mixture left over for my dinner, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to have an enchilada. I'm excited to put tomatoes and sour cream on one and enjoy it! These enchiladas look deeeeeeelicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment