2.26.2012

Pork Chops & Apple Sauce

Remember that episode of "The Brady Bunch" where Sam and Alice joke about having "pork chops and apple sauce" for dinner? Well, they were really onto something...it's a great combo! Personally though, I think pork chops and cranberry sauce is an even better combo. For months, in my freezer I've had two pork chops from my meat share at Simmons Farm, and I really really REALLY wanted to eat them. Well, it's the end of February, but all week last week the high temperatures were in the 50s, so I decided that it would be fun to defrost the pork chops and grill them. I already had a can of cranberry sauce (with whole berries), so I just needed a veggie. I've wanted to try smashed cauliflower for a long time, so I looked up some recipes and bought a head of cauliflower. So, it turns out that making smashed cauliflower is one of the easiest things to do ever!

Step one: Cook the cauliflower.

My method of choice is to steam it in my grandmother's fancy veggie steamer that looks like a double-boiler.

Step two: Smash the cooked cauliflower.

I've been dying to use my Blendtec for whatever I can, so instead of employing the potato smasher, I used the blender.

Step three: Add butter, salt, pepper, milk/cream, cheese, etc. to enhance the flavor of the smashed cauliflower.

Step four: Enjoy!

Ok, so using the Blendtec resulted in smashed cauliflower with the texture of thick yogurt or creamy frosting, but it tasted delicious!

So, the next time I do this I will either consult the user's manual for the Blendtec, or I will just use the potato smasher and some serious elbow grease...LOL It was very tasty, despite its creamy consistency!

No comments:

Post a Comment