2.08.2010

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

When I was little, my grandmother and my mother always made mashed potatoes from scratch. It always looked really complicated to me, and as much as I love them, I've always been intimidated by the idea of making my own mashed potatoes. I realize now how absolutely ridiculous that is, because I've done it successfully twice in the last 6 weeks. :)

Heidi came over for Christmas dinner. She brought a salad and a rack of lamb from Trader Joe's, and I made homemade mashed potatoes and a carrot cake (well, I provided the ingredients, but Heidi did most of the work for the cake). Anyway - I followed a recipe the first time, and the mashed potatoes were, well, blah.
The second time, I looked at the recipe and then did what I wanted, and they turned out soooo much better! It helps to add about 3x the amount of butter and 10x the amount of cream/milk/half + half the recipe calls for. Oh, and I added dill - that was the key ingredient. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment